Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Inspiration and Information


As a blogger (although I am rank with amateurness) I read a lot of blogs and follow a lot of people on Twitter so that I am up to date with the latest news and stories of note. For those who love sporting news as much as I do, I thought I would list some of the people and websites that I most appreciate when I am looking for sports news.

Blogs:

1.     ESPN TrueHoop network (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop)
The TrueHoop network on ESPN.com has quickly become the largest group of basketball bloggers on the internet. Henry Abbot is the man in charge of the site, and he and his staff do an amazing job of collecting blogger news from around the country each morning for their “First Cup” series. They have also been running a HoopIdea category, where they ask for suggestions to improve the game of basketball. There is simply a lot of stuff worth reading on this conglomerate of blogs.

2.     ProBasketballTalk
NBCsports.com is the host for the ProBasketballTalk group. This website, better than most, does a great job of breaking news about NBA events in a timely manner. Their website is updated very quickly, and although a lot of their articles are short, they are done so promptly that it doesn’t matter

3.     HardBallTalk
The baseball counterpart to ProBasketballTalk, this is where I go to read recaps of the previous night’s games, news on who is ITBSOTL (In the best shape of their life), and to generally get a lot of snarky/funny baseball talk. I really enjoy this constantly updated blog.

4.     Buster Olney
The word Buster is the best description for Buster Olney and his ESPN Insider baseball column. This guy works as hard or harder than anyone else in the business. His morning column of baseball news probably has 75+ links in it…EVERY MORNING. He is fantastic at trolling the webs, contacting baseball sources, and writing intelligently about baseball every day. He also ends his article the same way every single time: “And today will be better than yesterday”. Good stuff

5.     Monday Morning Quarterback by Peter King
This is only a once weekly column, best read during the NFL regular season, but it is always chock full with awesome NFL news and analysis. Peter King is one of the nicest guys around, and he seems to be available to every player in the league. I would love to see his phone contacts someday, because this man is well connected. I really don’t get many ideas from this column, but it is one of my favorites, so I needed to mention it.


Twitter Handles I Follow:

@claytonESPN (John Clayton, ESPN)
@KGknowsSports (Kevin Gilbert, sports blogger)
@Ken_Rosenthal (Ken Rosenthal, FOX Sports)
@Keithlaw (Keith law, baseball blogger)
@SethDavisHoops (Seth Davis, College BB)
@JonHeymanCBS (Jon Heyman, baseball writer)
@Buster_ESPN (Buster Olney, Baseball ESPN)
@JohnHollinger (John Hollinger, ESPN NBA)
@Franfraschilla (Fran Fraschilla, ESPN CBB)
@DraftExpress (CBB & NBA Draft Player evaluation)
@Chadfordinsider (Chad Ford, NBA Draft)



Websites Where I Get Numbers:

Hoopshype.com/salaries
Basketball-reference.com
Baseball-reference.com
Football-reference.com
John Hollinger PER (http://tinyurl.com/npy3e)


The final question, where do I get my inspiration? Well, since I try (often unsuccessfully) to blog from a GM's perspective, I mostly just try to stay in contact with the news, and think of my ideas from there. For the people that I know: I am always open to ideas of things to write about, and I can never have enough ideas. The more ideas I have, the more I can write! Hope that some of these websites and blogs and Twitterers are helpful! Let me know what you think. 


No comments:

Post a Comment