Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Why people write

I had an interesting conversation with a young man a few weeks back. He was headed off to college, and he was going to be a writing major. So exciting! The thing that stuck out to me though, was his admission that he needed to write to keep his mind at a functional level. He struggles with depression, and writing was a way for him to get thoughts and ideas out of his head, keeping it clear enough to deal with the day ahead of him.

I have run into creators with this problem before, and it seems like one of the biggest 3-5 reasons why people make art/new things. They create because there is no other way for them to express themselves. Many humans can get by with texting their best friend, or screaming into a pillow once in a while, but not these people. Their brains are so close to exploding with a profusion of thoughts and ideas that they must simply spew them out before the person is driven mad.

There is a very large part of me that wished I was one of those people. I have always been interested in writing, in creating new things, but I have also always struggled with the ability to produce. My brain simply does not have the ability to create new and valuable thoughts on a regular basis. At least not new and valuable thoughts that can be extrapolated into readable work.

I think this is another reason why I read, and why I teach. The old adage that "those who cannot do, teach" hold very true for me. I simply cannot write the types of stories that I wish I were capable of. However, I can perhaps teach my students how to better approach their passion/need to write. Perhaps I can unlock a conduit in a young person's head that will allow their thoughts to spill out continually as they create something needed.

No real conclusion for this post, more of a wondering and an admittance.

No comments:

Post a Comment