Friday, January 6, 2012

Chicago Bulls v. Orlando Magic Game Notes

Great Start. I had a late dinner and ate too slow so I missed the tip and the first few minutes of the game. Sounds like this experience is going to be a great success. However, despite my tardiness, I am looking forward to seeing some All-Stars take the court!


  • Has JJ Redick always had a tattoo on both forearms!? I think not. Lockout addition possibly. This probably needs to be looked into by a more serious journalist than me. His poetic nature appears to be asserting itself in a more physical form. They appear to be text based tats’, not image based.

  • Owner Thought: I wonder what the daily cost is of running an arena. Obviously, the Magic are playing in a beautiful, new arena. The cost of daily operations must be staggering. However, ticket and advertising must rake in the dough as well. Which is one of many reasons why teams try to be competitive year after year.
  • 1:00 left in the first quarter. I cannot get over how useless I think Hedo Turkoglu has become. He isn’t athletic, doesn’t shoot a high percentage, does not get to the free throw line enough, and I think is an overrated facilitator. What is he bringing daily to the table, other than a very nice goatee?

This is already getting a bit long. I think I may do one post at the end of each quarter with a bit of analysis. D Howard with 14 at the end of this first, Orlando up by 1.


  • GM Thought from 2nd Quarter: Hustle Plays. The Bulls have more players who will make the hustle play, and I think that is what ultimately will separate these two teams. Talent is a must if you want to win championships, but you also must have gutsy players who will do the dirty work. Noah, Asik, Korver, Brewer, these guys will stick their noses into plays, defend, keep balls alive, and make the extra pass. Asik will bang with Dwight Howard all night. Howard may score on him, but Asik is not going to concede and easy bucket.
  • GM Though from the 3rd Quarter: The Orlando Magic didn't shoot a free throw in the 2nd quarter. This is a malady for teams who lack athletic wings who can drive to the basket. This is a problem that the Orlando Magic has had for several years. Pretty much since T-Mac and Grant Hill left.
  • GM Thought from the 4th Quarter: My Streaming did not go well, as I was switching computers. However, as an effort evaluator, the Bulls gave it and the Magic simply did not give enough of it.

It was fun to try and do a post during an actual basketball game, but it is also super difficult to write and watch and listen at the same time! I will have to give this another try sometime. More GM thoughts later in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment